Minister of Music
Mount Calvary Baptist Church, Rockville, Maryland, founded in 1902, is one of Montgomery County Maryland's largest African American Baptist churches. With more than 1,000 members, Mount Calvary Baptist Church is a progressive religious institution, promoting Christian values, civil rights and other social and economic issues confronting African Americans. Under the direction of the Senior Pastor, the church seeks to employ a Minister of Music.
The Minister of Music, serving as a music planner/administrator, and worship leader, is expected to create an atmosphere of celebration and reverence to God through music for all worship services. As such, the Minister of Music will oversee the entire music program of the Church which includes choirs, vocal, instrumental, and other expressions of musical talents. The incumbent fosters innovative, blended styles of music to enhance and support the goals of the worship message; oversees, rehearses, and directs all choirs of the church, as appropriate; leads the music ministry during worship services, encouraging congregational participation; and provides training and direction to choir members and musicians. The Minister of Music also chooses and directs music for various chorus and music ensembles for special church events; coordinates the planning and implementation of a comprehensive music ministry for the Senior Pastor, congregation, and community, and assists the Senior Pastor in planning the worship services of the church.
Qualified candidates must have:
- A music background by education or experience and teaching. A degree from an accredited college or university is desirable;
- Knowledge of music and the ability to implement a comprehensive music program;
- Demonstrated experience leading choirs and musical groups;
- Familiarity with diverse Christian music genres;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to coach and guide members of the music ministry to enhance their musical abilities;
- Experience as a worship leader for praise teams, church choirs, and music groups;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to effectively collaborate with the Church staff and ministerial leaders as well as members of the music ministry;
- Experience working with youth, young adults, and adults, demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience working in a Church environment.
- Knowledge of Baptist theology and hymnody.
The Minister of Music must commit to exclusivity of church related employment with Mount Calvary Baptist Church. Total compensation for this fulltime position includes salary of $50,882 and benefit options such as retirement plan contributions, paid leave, and health insurance.
You can find the full position description here.
To apply, send your resume and letter of interest to Personnel@MtCBC.org
Mount Calvary Baptist Church is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.