Principle Function and Position Guidelines:
This position is the Church Secretary to the Church Administrator and is to assist in the support of the administrative work of the church.
The nature of the work of the Church Secretary requires tact, confidentiality, flexibility, patience, a pleasant demeanor, and the ability to multitask and set priorities. She are often the first point of contact for visitors and must represent the church accordingly in her presentation and behavior.
The Church Secretary performs secretarial services for the Church Administrator. In addition, she provides administrative support to church members, church officers, and ministry team members when such work is authorized in advance by the Church Administrator. Requests for such services must be made to the Church Administrator, generally in writing.
The Church Secretary must be familiar with and adhere to Church-approved guidelines as set forth in the Constitution and By-laws, the Personnel Handbook, and other documented policies and procedures.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs telephone calls, mail, and visitors, with sensitivity given to emergency situations.
- Answers questions and provides information about Church programs.
- Orders supplies as directed and maintains supply inventory in a cost-conscious way.
- Develops and implements efficient office procedures and systems to meet workflow demands.
- Develops and implements procedures to maintain church records in electronic and hard copy formats, with emphasis given to easy retrieval of information.
- Keeps office files in order and ready for quick retrieval.
- Oversees inventory and maintenance of all office equipment.
- Ensures that all office equipment is kept in good condition and that other authorized users are properly trained on the use of the equipment.
- Analyzes office equipment needs.
- Makes recommendations to the Church Administrator for equipment purchases.
- Coordinates and maintains a list of volunteers for office support approved by the Church Administrator.
- Prepares the Church Bulletin and programs.
- Coordinates with the armored services for pickup and drop off of church resources.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual Church report.
- Coordinates the use of the Church facilities and ensures the Agreement for Use has been properly completed.
- Maintains the Church membership database.
- Coordinates information with Pastors, Boards, and Ministry Teams.
- Prepares weekly worship bulletin and coordinates volunteer production of publications
- Assists in the production of the Church newsletter.
- Proofreads and edits communications.
- Notify leaders when sickness and death occur among the membership, under guidance from the Pastor.
- Maintains archives to include legal documents, deeds, minutes, policies and procedures, event programs, budgets, etc.
- Posts and maintains room assignments for the use of Church rooms.
- Updates and maintains the church calendar.
- Attends and takes notes of meetings as requested by the Church Administrator.
Performs other duties as requested by or approved by the Church Administrator.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Able to operate complex office equipment including computers, copier machines, scanners, etc.
- Demonstrated efficiency in Microsoft Teams, Word, Publisher, and other software in frequent administrative use are essential.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills with good interpersonal skills are expected.
Performance evaluation, as defined in the Employee Handbook, is applicable to this position.
This is a salaried, part-time position, thirty hours per week, sixty hours per two-week pay period. The position is not benefits-eligible. Note that at this time, the church is open four days a week.
The position is designated as Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) non-exempt. As such, the payment of overtime may be authorized by the Church Administrator as needed.
This position is covered by At-will employment. Refer to, sign, and return the Personnel Handbook acknowledgment page upon selection.
The salary is $19-24 per hour.
Send your Letter of Interest and your Resume to Personnel@MtCBC.org.
Open until filled.